12v and 240v bathroom lights/switches - Is is possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Sorry if this is basics but quite an amateur to electrics.

We are wanting to put mini 12v downlights in our small bathroom, we already have 240v wall lights. The switch for these is located outside the door. We are wanting the ability to dim the downlights but have the walllights just on the normal "on" and "off" switch.

Does anyone know if the switch is actually in existance and if its possible to do. If not would I be able to have them bothon dimmer or because there's 240v and 12v transformer lights it cant be done.

Your thoughts and views would be gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
You can dim 12V lights providing the transformer is dimmable (which virtually all are these days)

You can get a 'switch module' which looks like a dimmer but acts like a switch. You can buy a suitable double dimmer and remove one of the dimmer modules, replacing it with the switch module! I think MEM make them. Otherwise you can use a grid switch, or, if you're good at soldering remove the guts from a bust dimmer and wire it up as a switch!

wow thanks for the replies so quick.I'll get looking into it. What are MEM do they have a website for me to look at. Ta

Sponsored Links
Do i need a special dimmer switch if going for the double dimmer. If the 12v transformer is compatibile with dimmer will it just work. This might be the easiest option to go for without electrocuting myself or plunging the whole street into darkness

The 240v wall lights were already in the bathroom. There's two of them and a 240v ceiling light. The house is only 18 months old. It's like blackpool when there all on hence the low voltage. My wife wants to be able to bath with the lights on without getting sun burn.

Slightly different scenario, but I have for my bathroom a switch for the fan and a dimmer for the lights.

The switch is built from the MK grid range

gridsw.jpg

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Wiring_Accessories_Menu_Index/Grid_System/index.html

paulrushton said:
It's like blackpool when there all on hence the low voltage. My wife wants to be able to bath with the lights on without getting sun burn.

How about lower rated lamps?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back