1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Convert big internal doors to bifold by cutting in half

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by Johnking, 4 Jan 2018.

1. Johnking

Johnking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Old Victorian house, two living rooms divided by two large doors (2.5 x 1m). Doors are solid wood, four panels with cross bars (10cm). They are a bugger to open so I'm thinking of making them into bifolds by cutting vertically down the centre bar and adding hinges. Would this work? I'm worried about the weight being too much for the divided plank which will end up only 5cm wide. And would I need to add floor bolts half way along to keep them stable when closed?

2. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why are they a “bugger to open”? my office doors were 1m x3m x45mm thick solid fire-doors and no trouble at all.

3. Johnking

Johnking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    They have a 1m radius swing and there are large items of furniture in the way.

4. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the main strength in a door is the outside rails and the outside corners with little stiffness added by the internal timbers
    if you cut down the middle you will have all the joints visible and reduced strength and rigidity

5. Johnking

Johnking

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks, sounds like a non starter then.

Are there any sliding rail systems that could be retro fitted? Ideally allowing the doors to sit in the frame.