Converting 1 gang to 2 gang

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All.

I have two ceiling lights operated by one (1 way) switch on the wall. (See picture) And I want to install another light operated independently using a 2 gang switch (See other picture).

Can someone please explain (in simple terms) for me what I have to do with the wires. All I know is you have to link the Common which I have done.

I'm slightly confused as there are three Live wires and the ceiling lights were just 'daisy chained'

I think the pictures are here:
//www.diynot.com/network/steve2014/albums/

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Wire your existing light as it is on the single.
So mark up the brown cables, so you know where they belong if they just so happen to get loose on you..
Com is normally used as a permanent live terminal on one way switches. (this must be confirmed via an approved voltage meter)
You say you have two lights off this single, so it could be that the perm live is at L1 and the two browns at com are for each light, or it could be configured differently and a live loop is at Com.
So find out which side is perm live, this can be done be opening the switch and testing between brown conductors and earth or neutral whilst live, so be careful!
Once you have done this, Isolate circuit and prove dead, then copy over the conductors to the double gang switch, then link a cable across (as second photo) across perm live at gang one to com or L1 of second gang.
Then you require to take a T&E to the fitting of new light.
This cable would be terminated at switch with earth connected back to earth terminal with rest of earths.
The blue connected with rest of blues(neutral)
Then the brown cable to either Com if perm live at L1 or L1 if perm live at Com.

At the fitting earth to earth terminal, brown to live and blue to neutral.

Sponsored Links

This image shows you the method to use, but remember you have one gang operating two light so you will have the extra set of cables.
So the gang with existing light will have two browns at L1 and an extra blue in connector and earth at earth terminal.
Also so don't forget permitted safe zones and the requirement for RCD protection on buried cables (less than 50mm within wall if not mechanically protected).
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back