Converting a 'Pole dancing' pole to a bistro table

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Stop the sniggering at back it's not a wind up I really want to build a multi-purpose pole for my apartment :D

The images below show it should be possible, I just need a way of quickly detaching/attaching the table part from the pole. alternatively I could slide the table part up so it didn't interfere with use of the pole. The fixing will need to be strong enough to support the table top yet, must not leave any visible sign once removed/moved.

It's cunning plan to provide a usable eating area in the lounge/kitchen while not alerting anyone (read mother) to it's rather more seedy use lol

So come on guys get your thinking caps on!

I've seen bistro tables like this:-

bistroek7.jpg

and Pole dancing poles like this:-
xpoleiz6.jpg

Sponsored Links
my wife's done a bit of pole dancing.........

il_normal02.jpg

we met whilst i was Morriss dancing in the next field. :eek: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
What about this instead :?:

Thanks Masona ... at least someone is taking this seriously (Hope you enjoyed googling 'pole dancing' :) )

That site looks promising, I have found a couple of suppliers of the poles it's just working out how to get a circular table top with a hole in the middle fixed at the right height to use for dining yet when it is removed doesn't impair the use of the pole by having holes or threads.

My theory is a fitting inside the hole located in the middle of the table top.
You would slide the table top along the pole to the desired location and then rotate the table top to tighten the fitting. Turning the table top would engage some clamps in the fitting which secure themselves against the pole without damaging the pole itself.

Seems plausible? anyone seen anything like that?

erm, is this related to your job monsoon?

How about clamping stuff to the pole with an easily undoable fixing? like speakers or a small lcd tv.

I'm feeling thick tonight :) I've read it again and I'm not sure now, can you do a drawing?

scaffold pole clamp under the tabletop.

I was thinking along similar lines using an Olympic weightlifting collar. The come chromed and will clamp the bar with out damaging it. They problem is the table top could spin and there would be nothing to stop any upward movement.

All that said it would be a cheap and simple solution.

I'm feeling thick tonight :) I've read it again and I'm not sure now, can you do a drawing?

I started to sketch my idea and very quickly scrapped the drawing ... even I couldn't work out what it was trying to show :D

Basically if you look at the bistro table picture and imagine the pole continuing through the table top to the ceiling you have what I'd like to achieve.

Now I can purchase one of those poles as per your link and I can cut a circular table top out of a veneered board. The problem is I need to be able to fix the table top approx 3ft up the pole( and removed when used for pole dancing).

One solution would be to cut a hole in the middle of the table top (approx 2") slide it up the pole to the desired position and place a scaffold/collar under the table top to stop it slipping down.

That would work to a degree but a more elegant solution would be some type of fitting inside the centre hole which would compress against the pole. I suggested a method of activating the clamping of this fitting could be achieve by rotating the table top. Imagine the circular table top is a big steering wheel as you turn it anti clockwise the centre tightens against the pole, turn it the other way and it loosens.

This is starting to sound like scrapheap challenge :D

Small tables with poles sticking up through the middle are not a lot of use!

How about one base fixed to, or under, the floor.

Two poles, one the height you want the table with a fixed table top, the other of the removable type detailed above which will clamp between the base and the ceiling.

When you need the full pole you take the table out and store it, when mother comes you only need to hide the pole.

You will need to check that both the floor and ceiling are rigid (e.g. ceiling not just plasterboard) where you want to install it, you would not want the table falling over when mother leans on it would you ;)

Something like this? the rubber insert will protect the pipe, I don't know what the table top is made of but ytou may find a way fixing a bracket from the table to the clamp
Rapid_Pipe_Clamp.jpg

clamp_2.jpg

I found these clamps which are removable but also very quick to tighten.

okie1.jpg

okie2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back