Converting a single electrical socket to double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I currently have a single gang electrical socket outlet in my study room. I understand that there are convertor boxes which enable me to adapt it to a double socket. Can I do this myself. I mean does it officially need a NEIEC electrician to do it or is this allowed to be done by a DIYER

Cheers
Raji

Sponsored Links
If your competent you can do it. Would advise getting a plug in tester to check polarity and earth fault loop. Is the circuit is RCD protected already?

Your competence depends on your ability to tighten up terminals properly, and whether you can recognise weak cable end that may need re-stripping.

You can do it, but it is not a very neat solution as they stick out from the wall. The load you can put on a double socket is for practical purposes the similar to that for a single socket so you would not gain extra output, e.g. If you have a 3KW electrical fire in on outlet, you cannot put another into the second one.
For a study with computers etc it is probably neater, easier and much cheaper to use a 2/3/4 way extension on a short lead.

Sponsored Links
I am a DIYer but quite experienced in wiring up sockets and I have used one of the generic convertor ones, I think it was made by Volex. For some reason I found wiring it tricky compared to a normal double socket. I think the wall isn't completely true so it was very hard to align it to the existing backbox.

I used a double because I run two extensionsi it (running a HIFI, computer, lamp and phone charger). The switches mean I can isolate one circuit (e.g computer and HIFI) while still using my lamp or laptop.

It sticks out less than an inch as well so it is very neat.

You can also get plastic double back boxes that screw into the existing single backbox but these will stick out of the wall a lot more, but I found it them much easier to install.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back