Converting a Two-Way Light Fitting to One-Way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am wondering if someone could help me, I have just removed old fitted wardrobes that used to have a light switch fitted to it. This fitting was for my ceiling light but I also have another switch for this light on my wall.

As I no longer require the light switch that was attached to my wardrobe I would like to know which wire has to connect to which to get my ceiling light to work with just my wall switch.

Pictures attached.
This is my wall light switch that I want to use
These are the cables currently exposed from my ceiling, one cable w/ yel,blue, red and earth. And two identical wires w/ black, red, earth

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately I removed the old light switch without taking a picture.

How many cables were there? One? Two? Looking at what you have there already, we would need to see what was at the other end to confirm how it has been wired.

Sponsored Links
I think that all 3 wires went into the now removed light switch.

I am not sure if it helps but the light switch was a 2 way switch that also controlled a 2nd light that was on the wardrobe I have now removed.

When I removed everything I just cut the wires short from the ceiling I didnt remove any.

Can you remember if the two blacks were connected to a separate connector block?

Can you get in the loft and find out where the two black/red cables go to?

I have a loft conversion so its not really possible to get access to the cables above the ceiling.

I do not remember it having a block but interestingly the two cables black/red cables have to be connected red-red black-black otherwise the lights in 2 of my other rooms do not work.

Also I have since wired a simple light fitting to the red/blue/yel cable and it lights just fine, so I know the wires have good power.

I have a loft conversion so its not really possible to get access to the cables above the ceiling.

I do not remember it having a block but interestingly the two cables black/red cables have to be connected red-red black-black otherwise the lights in 2 of my other rooms do not work.

Also I have since wired a simple light fitting to the red/blue/yel cable and it lights just fine, so I know the wires have good power.

When the reds and blacks are together, does the light in the bedroom work, and if so, does it stay on all the time?

Do you mean the red/yellow/blue at the old pull switch end? Is the light at full brightness, or does it appear dim?

You must get a proper test meter, and some connector blocks for the bare ends whilst you are (rather crudely) testing. Work safely.

As you don't appear to be using proper test gear etc I would respectfully suggest you get an electrician in.

I am not sure if it helps but the light switch was a 2 way switch that also controlled a 2nd light that was on the wardrobe I have now removed.

When I removed everything I just cut the wires short from the ceiling I didnt remove any.

Do you mean the wardrobe light would only come on with the main light, and by either of the switches?

You say you cut the wires from the ceiling. Does this mean you have the old pull switch somewhere with the ends of the wires still attached?

When the reds and blacks are together, does the light in the bedroom work, and if so, does it stay on all the time?

Do you mean the red/yellow/blue at the old pull switch end? Is the light at full brightness, or does it appear dim?

You must get a proper test meter, and some connector blocks for the bare ends whilst you are (rather crudely) testing. Work safely.

As you don't appear to be using proper test gear etc I would respectfully suggest you get an electrician in.

The reds and blacks are currently connected but the light does not work.

Yes the light was wired to the ceiling wire shown in the 2nd picture in my first post and was fully powered.

I have some testing equip if required but am just unable to find a correct combination of wire connections.

Thanks for your help so far.

Do you mean the wardrobe light would only come on with the main light, and by either of the switches?

You say you cut the wires from the ceiling. Does this mean you have the old pull switch somewhere with the ends of the wires still attached?

Don't forget to answer this.

Also, when your light lit on the red, yellow, blue, which of these wires were connected to the light?

I have the switch but my father disconnected the cables form it.

My test light only has two wires blue/brown which I connected to my ceiling wires blue/red.

You haven't answered this yet.

Also, at the wall switch, can you confirm which terminal the yellow is in? It may say 'com', but this can vary.

No the wardrobe light worked separately to the main light. The wardrobe switch fitting had two switches one for the wardrobe light and the other for the main.
You haven't answered this yet.

Also, at the wall switch, can you confirm which terminal the yellow is in? It may say 'com', but this can vary.

Yes its in the com terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back