Converting a wooden door to accept a new locking mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really hope I've posted this in the correct area and apologies to all offended if my query is either considered daft, boring or both! But I have searched online and checked the DIY guide books but still don't know how to solve what I initially imaged would be a pretty simple problem to overcome...
I recently bought a new house and decided to update all the interior door handles to shiny chrome style ones. All are fitted except the bathroom handle and lock. As many will no doubt be aware, 'new' regulations say that new bathroom locks have to be able to be opened from the outside for safety reasons. The handle and lock combination I have to fit is made up of two sections; the handles which turn a standard bar that passes through a small cylindrical sprung latch, and a secondary bar that connects a circular locking lever with a circular screw-driver compliant safety 'lever' on the outside of the interior door. The problem I am having is that the original latch and lock have been removed leaving a pretty vast gaping hole in the door which the new latch just falls into with nowhere to screw the new latch too. How can I 'pack' the hole or what must I do to fix this problem and get the new bathroom handle and lock system installed? It'll be great to be able to go to the bathroom without having to 'lock' the door using the dustbin propped up against it anymore! Many thanks

Sponsored Links
you could get a finger-plate, and drill accurate holes in it, then fix it to the door.

they are mostly sold in polished brass, but chrome and stainless ones are also available, or you could buy a budget one and paint it to suit the door.

p.s. from what you say it sounds like you might have a tubular mortice latch and a tubular mortice deadbolt.

You could bin these and fit a bathroom sashlock (you will have to chisel out the door to fit)

the solution is to square off the opening cut a block off wood with grain running in the same direction as the door cut to fit glue in and start again

legislation is NOT retrospective so you can repair and fit as you choose

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the advice guys. I think I will be doing as big-all advises and fill the gap before starting again. Wish me luck! ;) Thanks again. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back