Help needed with a handle that has come off my door!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had some doors fitted and one door which is fixed to my airing cupboard is causing me some problems.

The handle has been screwed into the door but does not seem to have gone in to the locking plate. therefore the handle has just come off as there is nothing solid to screw it into.

There is only one handle on the door and it does not control the latch (the latch is just a roller type) so the handle gets lots of wear and tear with pulling the door open and what not.

As the door is fixed to the frame I can not relocate the handle to the locking plate and would like some suggestions on how to secure it to the door in it's original position.

Sponsored Links
i am not clear why you cant locate the lock block within the door and attach the handle to it?

can you send a diagram?

i am having difficulty actually finding the lock block i am worried it may be on the other side and don't really want to re-hang the door

tricky said:
the handle has just come off as there is nothing solid to screw it into.
Are you saying the door is hollow? if so you'll need hollow door rawlplug which is design for that.
21670.jpg

Sponsored Links
Seeing as it is an airing cupboard and thus the other side of the door doesn't require perfect aesthetics, what about replacing the screws holding the handle to the door with nuts and bolts?

Remove the handle, drill straight through the door (to the other side) where the current screw holes are. Place the handle on the door, push the bolts through (make sure you get the right type of head on them so they look nice!). Do the nuts up tight enough to hold the handle on, but beware of overtightening as it might damage the door. You could reduce chances of that by fixing a piece of plywood to the other side of the door where the bolts come through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back