converting brick outhouse to 4th bedroom? Can we do this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in desparate need of a 4th bedroom but absolutely can't afford to move. Our only option, as our loft is not high enough, is to convert the existing brick structure (formerly the coal shed) to a 4th bedroom.

Not sure of the actual dimensions, and too cold to pop out and measure right now, but there is room for a bed and chest of drawers in there, but know that with insulation etc we'd be losing quite a lot of the space.

There is a small alleyway between the house and outhouse which we would incorporate into the new room to create larger space, and already doors exactly facing each other from the kitchen to the outhouse.

If anyone can advise the cheapest and best way of undertaking this project, it would be greatly appreciated. Is this a project that us amateurs should take on, or is this way beyond a couple of diy beginners?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
what ever you do will require building regs insulation structure fire escape minimum size light [you need a window in a bedroom]etc

OR you could call it your Anthony Worral-Thompson punishment room :eek: Yes indeed the poor little lad was imprisoned in a coal hole like that once :evil: - I actually heard him relate the tale on TV.

@ Nige F

you really surprise me with the range of TV programmes and political opinions you have :cool:

Sponsored Links
Ours sounds exactly the same with an ally in between, connected to our house with the concrete roof only.

I'm planning to use the existing building 3.5mx2.7m, a rough guess and the ally, to connect to our existing kitchen, then open the door up to make it one room.

I converted the loft earlier this year and the gable wall, where the door i want to open up, is were the steels sit on. will this be a factor to worry about?

also the foundations for the shed? not sure it has any? not sure it needs any?

any help advice welcome,

dobber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back