Converting Conservatory to Living Space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a part brick convervatory which we never use as its too cold in the winter and too cold in summer. We now want to convert the conservatory into a living room by building a proper flat roof, I was hoping there would be a builder out there able to tell me if this is possible. I have been told it depends on how deep the foundations are, I have no clue as the conversatory was already there when we purchased the house. If it was possible to build a roof does anyone know roughly how much this would cost?

Thanks for your help.

Susie

please see forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
if you intend upgrading under a buildings notice, i.e. via building control then you will have to adhere to regulations.

foundations will have to be exposed and checked. you will need to achieve certain 'u' values in the floor, walls and roof. this may mean loosing some of the window area too.

i would imagine for the simplest of conversions, expect to pay upwards of £3500.

An insulated, lightweight roof is feasible. A typical conservatory foundation should be sufficient (although may not be to bregs), but the main issues are how to support and attach it to the existing framework. There are numerous other issues to consider to - mainly centering around the need for building regs approval, but also just how comfortable the room will be if you just try and 'adapt' it, rather that do it properly

If we consider £3.5k for the converson and then application and design fees (say another £1k) then I would ask how many years could you heat the conservatory as it is for £4.5k? Plus the disturbance and other factors if you got the work done

Then you will have the viability of doing the conversion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back