Converting conservatorty into indoor living space.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice on my single brick conservatory that is attached to the back of my house that i want to convert into "an indoor" living area. What I mean by this is that I have upvc doors into it now and I want to take them down to open up the space. Rather than build another single block on the inside and insulate is there anything on the market that is a lot thiner and then plaster over the top, I then intend to either put a proper sloping roof with velux windows in or was hoping there is a insulated noise free from rain plastic type roofing.

Sponsored Links
There's a very competent designer who lives in Devon who will be along shortly to help you with your very reasonable query .

Despite most peoples' efforts to try and dress up a glorified shed as habitable space, many overlook the fact that the foundations are barely able to deal with the conny let alone the added weight of a full reg's extension.

Unless you are satisfied that the found's are adequate and that the huge expense of converting is worthwhile, then you are better off either leaving it as a conny or get the digger in and start from scratch.

Sponsored Links
Unless not doing this through Building Regs ie illegal conversion then I agree with everything noseall says, the founds will most likely let you down, seeing as there's no inner skin at present and your new inner skin will need to support your new roof structure, knock it down and start again, 'lipstick on a pig' springs to mind. Cheaper and a whole lot less hassle, end up with a much better job too. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back