Converting garden wall to a gate, do I need planning permission?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My back garden wall is about to collapse so I was hoping to take it down and hang a gate instead. It will allow me to wash or do any repairs of my car on my garden.

Access to the garden is via a private alleyway shared with 4 other neighbours.

Do I need planning permission do this?

Below link suggests I do not need permission if the gate/fence is not more than 2m, but I'm not sure if that applies in cases like mine where converting a wall/fence to a gate?

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/20/fences_gates_and_garden_walls

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't have thought so if you share the private alleyway. Boundary is a boundary, no matter what it's made from. Only exception is if in conservation area as far as I can see?

Thanks , no def not in a conservation area.

it says ..

"the right to put up or alter fences, walls and gates has not been removed by an article four direction or a planning condition."

Where can I get this information from, does anyone know?

Article 4 is to do with listed buildings/conservation area mainly. So you should be ok.

Edited to add: You should be able to find it out online with your council - some list the areas/streets/buildings. Trying to remember when we moved here 8 years ago, we didn't realise it was a conservation area, the estate agent omitted that.. But our house isn't listed, nor does it have an article 4. Phew.

Sponsored Links
just a thought
are there anything dictating you access position or size off opening along with restrictions off use ??
my access on the deeds says within 2ft 6" off boundary on foot and without mechanical propulsion or word to that effect :D

just a thought
are there anything dictating you access position or size off opening along with restrictions off use ??
my access on the deeds says within 2ft 6" off boundary on foot and without mechanical propulsion or word to that effect :D

Cheers for that, I checked my title plans and there is nothing like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back