Converting just one room to UFH (oil boiler)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

We'd like to re-fit our kitchen, but one end wall is taken up with the sole large radiator - which really limits our options for worktops & units.

I'd therefore like to know if converting just the kitchen to UFH would be at all feasible. The rest of the CH is a very standard affair - a Honeywell 'S-plan' system with an unvented DHW cylinder, running off an external oil boiler. There is no mains gas available.

The house is fairly old, 1831 with solid walls, and the kitchen is north-facing. I'd like to improve the floor insulation in any case, so adding UFH wouldn't add too much hassle.

What might help is that the external boiler lives right outside one kitchen wall, giving free access to the main flow & return pipes. This may make it easier to obtain the correct UFH water temperature and flow rate (??).

Any advice very much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Sounds lik it could be done, single manifold with blender to reduce temperature most of the manufacturers will do you a design plan if you. Order of them.

As your dealing with floor insulation all very easy One room pack should do it you should be able to get pump/blender valve in back of a cupboard.
Oil boiler makes zero difference though depending on make/model some require a minimum return temperature so some care needed with that.

Sponsored Links
You can also use the current system pump, pipework etc and all you'll need is an external RTL (FHV) valve

Of course it does mean it would run just like a radiator. Really depends on the size of the space.

Many thanks for the helpful replies - it sounds like it's do-able. Unfortunately, I may be running out of excuses to my OH for parting with the dosh!

Is the 'warm-up time' of UFH compatible with conventional radiators? My recollection is that UFH is more of a 'leave it on all the time' affair, whereas we're more of the 'stick it on when you need it' generation!

If it helps, the kitchen is approx 6m x 3.4m, with an 1800mm x 700mm K2 radiator on the narrower wall. Sizing's about right for the existing heat loss, with 70/50degC flow/return.

Is the 'warm-up time' of UFH compatible with conventional radiators? My recollection is that UFH is more of a 'leave it on all the time' affair, whereas we're more of the 'stick it on when you need it' generation!
Depends on the types of UFH.

Traditional 'crete plinth and wet screed is, need to keep the thermal mass at a constant temp. An overlay, low profile tytpe system isn't, it reacts much faster and can be turned on and off like a radiator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back