Converting Old Concrete Garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
What are your thoughts on potentially converting this old garage into a mini granny annex? (see attached photo)
Roof looks like asbestos and those concrete panel/block walls leave much to be desired.

Knock it down or upgrade it?; I’m not sure how those panel walls compare with masonry type for dry-lining suitability. Furthermore, the garage is right on the boundary which means it’ll have to be non combustible materials. I need to measure it but it looks like it does not go over the 15m2 limit for structures within 1m of the boundary.

Garage is also in a conservation zone so will need planning application regardless... it’s totally redundant in context of the site nowadays as you wouldn’t be able to get a car within 20 meters of it!

Attachments

• 20200527_110143.jpg
    20200527_110143.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 331
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not suitable IMO walls would require loads of thick insulation to meet any standard at all, I doubt the floor has a DPM the walls will have no DPC, Asbestos, non opening windows the list goes on. I imagine the planning office would have a fit.
Remove it and start again so granny is safe and warm.(y)

Thanks, you’re absolutely right. I’m too much of an optimist sometimes :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back