Converting part of garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently have a fairly large garage and am looking to make part of it slightly more comfortable as a sort of home office (basically my wife and I are teachers and need to have some quiet time for marking/planning etc and we also want to keep school work out of the house). So this will involve construction of a partition wall and then upgrading the existing within the new “room”.

At the moment the garage is constructed as follows from outside to inside…

Floor – Concrete (unsure of depth and doubt the existence of a DPM although the garage is bone dry

Walls – Prefab concrete section -> 50mm Celotex style board -> Plasterboard -> paint

Flat Roof (well slight pitch…) – Torched on felt -> OSB resting on rafters (there is 50mm Celotex cut to fit between rafters and this is tight up against the roof.

My initial thoughts are

Floor – 75mm EPS -> OSB -> Carpet tiles

External Walls – Add 25mm battens and 25mm of EPS then standard plastboard, plaster and paint add double glazed window (with trickle vents and escape provision) to one wall.

NEW Partition wall – 3x2 frame with 75mm EPS and fireline plasterboard garage side and normal internally

Roof – add 75mm EPS to fill remaining space between rafters then plasterboard (vapour barrier stuff) then plaster and paint…

Can anyone see any issues here?

Would I need to have breathing space anywhere in the ceiling layers? (the garage is currently heated to a very low level and there is no condensation that I can see)

Do I need to add vapour barriers anywhere or use vapour barrier plasterboard as an alternative?

Thanks in advance…

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response fmt, I realise many people have posted and I did search but I was looking more for an opinion based answer as the garage is already semi-insulated.

Would it be worth me adding the 25mm EPS and if I did would I need a vapour barrier (I don't think there is an existing one with the celotex)?

The roof certainly doesn't have a vapour barrier so I'm guessing I would need one on the inside of the extra insulation and before the plasterboard, would I need to drop the existing insulation somewhat as it is tight up against the OSB?

Thanks for any advice...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back