Converting to a programmable room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my house has two separate heating zones, one for the ground floor and a second for the 1st and 2nd floors. The ground floor thermostat had two wires going to it and I have successfully changed that thermostat to a programmable unit. However, the thermostat for the second zone currently has 3 wires going to it but I want to use the same programmable unit as I did for the ground floor zone.

This is the unit I want to change it to.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201039723434?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Is it possible given that it currently has 3 wires connected to it?

Thanks in advance and please excuse my ignorance.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The current one is an old programmable room stat but it has three wires connected to it, brown, grey with a blue sleeve and black with a brown sleeve. The brown also has a link wire going to another terminal in the existing thermostat. (photo of existing stat below)

The programmer I fitted to my ground floor only needed two wires and I want to use the same type on my 1st floor.

What you want to install is battery powered. It is probable that what was installed took power from the cable. To be able to assist you more you need to specify what the original programmer model is, rather than just "an old programmable room stat".

andytw

Sponsored Links
Yer, the new one is battery powered. The existing one is a Siemens RDE programmable thermostat. That's as much as I can see, there's nothing else written on the unit such as a number.

What are the markings for the connections on the baseplate from left to right. The second from the left is marked 'L', I can see that.

andytw

Hi andytw,

Thanks for your ongoing help, I do appreciate it.

1st one is marked N, 2nd one as you say is L (which has a link wire to the 3rd connection) and the 4th one only has a number which is 014.

The wire on N is Neutral and is used to allow the programmer to run itself from the mains. You will not be using this wire. It should be terminated safely.

Connect your new programmer to the other 2 wires, those on Live and the connector you called O14. I think you will find it is Q14.

There is a manual here http://w3.siemens.co.uk/buildingtec...al-controls/documentation/documents/rde_d.pdf

I have been referring to it but it does not show the wiring of the actual backplate, as such, but it can be worked out once we know the markings on the plate.

I think your programmer is a RDE10 as that is what it says on the backplate in your photo.

Trust that helps.

andytw

That's fantastic andytw, on closer inspection it is a Q rather than a 0, my eyes aren't what they used to be!

I'll now be able to get this sorted, you've been a great help mate, thanks again. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back