Wall mounted sink on plasterboard wall?

Sponsored Links
It can if there's some decent timber behind the plasterboard, otherwise it'll most likely fall off

Even if there are not existing timber studding behind the proposed position there is still a possible solution.

That is to use a sheet of adequately thick MDF behind the basin but wide enough to span two ( or more ) studs.

But it does need to be adequately waterproofed as its so strong when dry but very week if allowed to get wet.

But an alternative is marine ply but that's so expensive!

Tony

The next question will be how to find the position of the studding!

Even if there are not existing timber studding behind the proposed position there is still a possible solution.

That is to use a sheet of adequately thick MDF behind the basin but wide enough to span two ( or more ) studs.

But it does need to be adequately waterproofed as its so strong when dry but very week if allowed to get wet.

But an alternative is marine ply but that's so expensive!

Tony

The next question will be how to find the position of the studding!

How do you find the position of the studding? *only joking!*

I was really just wondering to know whether there's any point in my purchasing a wall-mounted sink, or if it would have to be a floor-standing sink, which I'd rather not get since it's a very small bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Better to estimate the stud position before you buy anything.

I usually identify by tapping.

Sometimes you can identify nail positions.

Tony

Better to estimate the stud position before you buy anything.

Ok, so you mean do this, and once the separation is known this can be used to ensure the separation between the sink brackets matches?

Therefore, meaning neither the plasterboard does not have to be cut nor a new supporting timber installed.

No point in cutting anything until you know for sure if anything actually needs to be cut.

MDF is actually very strong indeed. Stronger than most cheaper wood.

Tony

No point in cutting anything until you know for sure if anything actually needs to be cut.
Okay, well the wooden paneling which is over the plasterboard will have to be removed first though as the thin pine panels will make it difficult to locate anything via the tapping method.

Mdf is about £18 a sheet and you can get 8 x 4 ply for £25, I know what I would rather use, as for mdf being strong ....

Don't use MDF for bathroom. If it get wet, it will swell up. Don't know why they still using MDF in housing stock bathroom replacement in my area.

Cut out plasterboard between two studs where you want put basin in, fit batten on studs and fit plywood onto batten flush with front of studs and then refit plasterboard and make good with easi-fill.

Then fit basin as per instruction.

Ps, you can get 1200 x 600mm plywood from Sheds.

Daniel.

Telly Tony and MDF in bathroom!!! MDF works like sponge and will wick water horribly

This is a normal situation where a neat square can be cut out using the legendary plasterboard saw and WBP Ply is installed and fixed to joists with some noggins as necessary.put the plasterboard back and seal joints as necessary

WBP Ply is not the same as marine ply Telly Tony .It's around 25 _30 quid a sheet in most merchants

The initials WBP are in regards to the glue used in manufacturing process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back