wall mounting a bathroom sink

iep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to wall mount a new bathroom sink rather than having to use a pedestal. It's fairly small at only 550mm wide by 385mm deep.

Obviously the sink includes the standard bolt holes behind the basin itself but I don't know if these are only mean to prevent the basin moving away from the wall rather than actually taking its weight. The basin is not specified as a wall mounted unit but the salesperson seemed confident you could wall mount it without problems.

I guess I'm just not sure how strong the ceramic would be when taking this kind of load. Has anyone wall mounted a basic sink before or do I need to use a pedestal?

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
Will a basin, (please don't say sink otherwise you start a manic influx of slagging from the puritans :D), designed for a pedestal hang OK without it, I wouldn't guarantee it, especially if the household tend to lean on it. If you use a wall mounted basin fixing kit though, then you may get away with it.
Can't say I've tried it tho, someone else may have tho

Ta for thoughts. Unfortunately, I'm convinced by both arguments so no further forward :)

The wall will be rock solid as I'll be the one building it and it'll be stupidly over spec'd. Really my only concern is that the porcelain will fail at the loaded points if the basin was intended to have a pedestal to take some/most of the weight (see red lines drawn on the diagram below).

upload_2015-6-15_7-36-41.png

Since I'm building the wall, I guess I could bury some decent L brackets within the frame at key points (these would end up behind the tiles) and rest the basin on those. Only issue with that is that it makes the installation very specific to the basin I have bought (tricky to replace with a different model later on if I had to).

Cheers,

iep

Sponsored Links
The genuine wall hung basin may well have thicker ceramic where the bolts pass through, and the holes may be bigger in diameter too.
The genuine item will also have the ceramic apron to hide the waste, which often hangs on springs.
I prefer this system as against the pedestal as it allows me to raise the height of the basin so it's more comfortable for me.
The Fischer fixings are definitely the ones to use.
John :)

Thanks. The holes in this basin are large and the recommended fixing kit is to use heavy duty bolts like the Fischer ones. This might indicate that the sink was intended to be used with or without a pedestal (a pedestal is available to match the sink). As for apron to hide waste, I don't believe it features this but does come with a rather spanky looking chrome bottle trap that must surely be intended to be on display.

The basin will arrive on Thursday so I'll see what the mounting wholes look like (whether they have been reinforced) and I have also sent an email to the company's support guys so we'll see what they say.

Cheers,

iep

The basin will be fine if you use the fischer bolts screwed into a timber batten hidden in the wall and so long as no one puts excess pressure on it ie: leaning on it to get off the bog.

There are two types of semi pedestal, one that hangs on springs which doesn't give any additional support but hides the waste and pipes: and the type that also screws to the wall which does give extra support as any pressure on the basin pushes the semi ped against the wall.

I think the key here is where the holes in the basin are placed and the thickness of the ceramic as Burnerman mentions. Higher up towards the top of the basin then more ceramic to hold the weight, further down, which seems to be the norm on pedestal basins, less ceramic to hold the weight.
I think it's a suck it and see TBH :)

Good observation. If the bolt holes are at the bottom edge of the basin's rear face then the game's a bogey.

Cheers,

iep

Diagram of basin below. If the first elevation is upside down then we're probably good as that means the bolt holes are approx 2/3 of the way up the rear face of the basin.It looks like it must be upside down as the drain connection gives the orientation.

upload_2015-6-15_11-56-27.png

Cheers,

iep

Stopped by the bathroom shop on way home last night and took a look at the display basin. Mounting holes are towards top edge of rear of basin, ceramic is reasonably think (similar to other dedicated wall hung units in the shop), so it looks like a goer.

To be totally sure though, I picked up one of these on line:

upload_2015-6-16_11-8-6.png

Sits neatly hidden beneath basin and translates some of the downward force on the front of the basin into a rearward force against the wall behind the unit. Should really improve rigidity and overall strength of install. Chuffed.

iep

Yup, given the holes are towards the top and have plenty of ceramic 'meat' around them and coupled with the support then it looks like it shouldn't have an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back