converting two way switch to one way with dimmer

Not if the Line (or SL) is at the switch end - as it would be with the conventional two strapper method.
You are presumably assuming two or more cables at the switch (and the 'old' method of 2-way switching). I was (clearly incorrectly, given the recent revised description/photos) thinking in terms of a single cable between switch and dimmer.

Anyway, given the new description, what the OP can do (leaving the cables live) is put the two (currently joined) reds into one terminal of a terminal block, together with either(**) the third red or the blue, and put the fourth wire (red or blue) into a separate terminal in the block [The "either" being determined by experiment to achieve the functionality the OP wants - if what he agreed with before was correct, then one of those options would result in the light being on permanently].

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You are presumably assuming two or more cables at the switch (and the 'old' method of 2-way switching). I was (clearly incorrectly, given the recent revised description/photos) thinking in terms of a single cable between switch and dimmer.

Anyway, given the new description, what the OP can do (leaving the cables live) is put the two (currently joined) reds into one terminal of a terminal block, together with either(**) the third red or the blue, and put the fourth wire (red or blue) into a separate terminal in the block [The "either" being determined by experiment to achieve the functionality the OP wants - if what he agreed with before was correct, then one of those options would result in the light being on permanently].

Kind Regards, John

thanks will try this.

my question is why is there one yellow cable at one switch and not at the other?
wasn't yellow supposed to be the common link between the two switches?

thanks will try this. ... my question is why is there one yellow cable at one switch and not at the other?
That's exactly my point - that yellow conductor cannot be part of a cable which just goes from switch to dimmer. It therefore must go to some other place (maybe a junction box, perhaps the light).

We therefore don't really know how the wiring is arranged. However, if you do as I suggested, you will simply be emulating what the switch does in one of its positions (that's why I said you will have to try two options, by experiment) - so, if it is working with the switch now, it will still work the same, regardless of how it is all wired.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back