converting window to patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

the guys who fitted my double glazing say they can install the patio door which they are supplying, i dont think they are fully competent to do this as this requires some knowledge of building works i.e damp proofing and cutting the bricks below the window with dimond discs. is there anything else i could ask them to establiosh how exactly they will be doing the job or things i should look out for.

many thanks,
any advice/comments much appriciated.

Sponsored Links
As per the other section you posted this in...

Also bear in mind...

An external window or door is a "controlled fitting" under the Building Regulations and as a result of this classification these Regulations set out certain standards to be met when such a window or door is replaced.

You could use an installer registered with a competent person scheme (BSI, CERTASS or FENSA). A registered installer will be approved to carry out the work to comply with building regulations without involving local authority building control. When work is complete you will receive a certificate showing the work was done by a registered installer. More information about Competent Person Schemes can be found on the CLG website.

Alternatively, you could use an unregistered installer or DIY, in which case approval can be sought from the relevant Building Control Body – either at your Local Authority or an Approved Inspector. They will check the replacement window(s) or door(s) for compliance and, if satisfied, issue a certificate of compliance.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...ndoorwindow/workmorebregsdoorswindows[/QUOTE]

It may be an idea to have the thread in the other section removed as it's more suited to this section.

Sponsored Links
I didn't mean you move/remove it, but a moderator. It's done now as I reported it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back