Convoluted Planning/HMO situation - help/thoughts, please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start, this is for a friend who I've been helping out over the last few years (no money, or anything in it for me!). Him, wife and 2 kids (this bit's important later!).

They bought their house around 15 years ago, nice 3-bed house, end of terrace in a nice bit of SW London. This is their residential property/home - not an investment, etc.

Few years ago, they applied for planning permission for a 2-floor side and rear extension. Success.

Various delays, etc mean that the house is still not completed in terms of building work, but it's on its way. Building regs very happy. All good so far.

As the extended house is too big, they wanted to be able to split the unit into two so they could rent out half while living in the other. So, they applied for PP for splitting the building into two units - two 3-bed flats, one upstairs one downstairs. PP rejected because the council wants to keep a family and house-orientated street, rather than having houses being flipped to flats. They also received a coldcall/letter from one of the hawkish architects that claimed they could have the decision overturned on appeal. After a hefty fee, appeal was rejected. Surprise surprise.

Their original architect suggested that they turn the house into a HMO, while living downstairs to get around the rejected PP and still be able to rent out some of the house.

Upstairs and downstairs each have their own kitchen, living space, bathrooms, etc.

HMO Licensing officer came round and inspected and, having been told the story above, seemed to consider the first floor as being a completely separate unit from downstairs. I.e. that they could rent out rooms to up to 5 people without the need for an HMO license. This feels odd because the house is not two units, but is rather one single unit. HMO Licensing also actively encouraged giving upstairs their own front door, and is saying the only approval you'll need is from Building Regs.

HMO Licensing are refusing to put their advice in writing.

My interpretation of the HMO rules is that as soon as they let out two rooms upstairs, then they are in need of a HMO license as the total number of people living in the unit will now be six. Is this correct?

So this leaves my friend in a bit of a tricky situation - they are being told by HMO Licensing they they don't need a license and that upstairs can be pretty much used as a separate unit, although PP for this has been rejected. As far as I'm concerned, the dialogue with the Planning department is over. And Building Regs are happy.

He, rightly, feels stuck between council departments, and isn't getting a straight answer out of anyone. Does anyone have any ideas as to what next?

Are these any firms that we can get advice from?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The problem is that HMO people are not always clued up on planning legislation.

An HMO is defined as a house where up to 6 unrelated people live together and share amenites - principally the kitchen and bathroom.

The fact that you have two sets of amenities probably works against you, as the LPA will be justified in regarding it as two dwelling units.

If you remove the upstairs kitchen and just keep one bathroom, it would probably then be regarded as an HMO - but you will clearly not want to live that way?
Difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back