Cooker - Can sockets run from this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've just been on the phone to my mom, her son in law has removed her electric oven and the cooker switch.

He has then extended the 6mm cable under the worktop and got two double sockets taped together with brown tape using no back boxes, a council electrition refused to touch it but did not condemn the circuit.

As far as I was aware you are not able to do this even if you used back boxes e.t.c as it is radial and not a 32a fuse cartridge.

There are only two double sockets on the main ring to the kitchen alrady having a spur (done by the same bloke) to an outside security light.

Do I disconnect the cooker circuit completely, and either extend the ring main between the two sockets OR add a FCU to the spur and run for sockets from there - they are to power wash machine, tumble dryer e.t.c. so switch needs to be above the worktop.

Is there anyway of using the 6mm for sockets?

Please help as am going to drive from Dartford to Birmingham 230 miles to sort her out as she is disabled.

Thankyou all in advance

Phil

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with re-using an old cooker circuit as the basis for a new socket circuit.

Make sure the extentions to the circuit are in 6mm and if the protection is no more than 30A, and obviously fit the proper boxes (note for 2x6mm in a socket you should use deep backboxes and MK sockets)

As for the outside light if taken off the ring it should be protected with a FCU fitted with an appropriate (3A if its just one fitting) fuse.

the work in the kitchen should really have been notified to building control in advance but its a bit late for that now.

tracey3108 wrote

He has then extended the 6mm cable under the worktop and got two double sockets taped together with brown tape using no back boxes

this sounds truelly awefull, i would be on the phone to your mum telling her to turn off the mcb/remove the fuse for this circuit immediatelly.
the council electricians refusal to touch the circuit is as good as condeming it.

As far as I was aware you are not able to do this even if you used back boxes e.t.c as it is radial and not a 32a fuse cartridge

you are wrong here, you can have a socket circuit in radial form, it doesnt have to be a ring (rings are just the norm). you could have a radial circuit in 6mm protected by a 32A fuse depending on other factors such as cable routes.

Do I disconnect the cooker circuit completely, and either extend the ring main between the two sockets OR add a FCU to the spur and run for sockets from there

best advice is get a spark in mate, this is notifiable work and he'l be able to make the judgment call on seeing the job.

oh and id be checking that outside light if i was you aswell! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks all, more than helpfull, can I reduce wire size any waay to 2.5mm much easier to work with?

only if you change the breaker down to 20A and even then there is a risk that someone will change it back up again.

in this instance better to stay with the 6mm and use deep boxes with MK accessories (which have LARGE terminals placed in a neat line).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back