Cooker Chimney Hood - Gap at Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, having fitted my chimney hood I've ended up with a small gap where the vertical channel and the ceiling are supposed to meet flush - the gap is around 3 to 4 mm all the way around, not massive but enough to make it look untidy and you can just see the ducting pipe as it enters the ceiling. Couldn't get the thing any closer. Any advice on what I should fill the gap with? Would silicone sealer be ok? It's brushed stainless material.

Sponsored Links
...or would I be better off using some quadrant or similar and pinning that to the ceiling (no-more-nails?). That way I could remove the cowling if I ever needed to and not have to worry about breaking the seal where it meets the ceiling....?

Maybe that's a better option?

It should be secured tight to ceiling with bracket supplied, sealant will quickly discolour and is unsuitable.

...or would I be better off using some quadrant or similar and pinning that to the ceiling (no-more-nails?). That way I could remove the cowling if I ever needed to and not have to worry about breaking the seal where it meets the ceiling....?

Maybe that's a better option?
maybe a bit of plastic quadrant :idea: will be wipe clean then

Sponsored Links
The mounting bracket is screwed to the wall and is as flush to the ceiling as is humanly possible. I think the ceiling must be out of square with the wall as the gap at the sides gets larger as it leads away from the wall. I could get a small piece of white plastic something (quadrant or similar) and put it on the ceiling around the chimney, ceiling is painted white so as long as I keep the plastic clean it shouldn't be too noticeable. Certainly less noticable that the gap is currently...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back