cooker circuit

Sponsored Links
Only on new installations. Regs are not retrospective.
Although regs are not retrospective, I think PBoD's statement (that it would be "a common recommendation") may well be true - particularly if the person doing the 'recommending' really believes that changing to a 'non-combustible' CU results in a significant improvement in safety (that is, if anyone actually believes that!).

Kind Regards, John

All EICRs are written wrt the current version of the regulations. A "combustible" CU could merit a C3. In fact, unless you are of the opinion that the IET are in the habit of putting pointless requirements into the regulations, how could you argue that replacing a "combustible" CU with a "non-combustible" one would not contribute to a significant enhancement of the safety of the installation?

All EICRs are written wrt the current version of the regulations. A "combustible" CU could merit a C3.
Indeed - and, as far as I am concerned, avoidance of an 'unclean' EICR is perhaps one of the few reasons for replacing an (otherwise perfectly OK) plastic CU with a 'non-combustible' one.
In fact, unless you are of the opinion that the IET are in the habit of putting pointless requirements into the regulations, how could you argue that replacing a "combustible" CU with a "non-combustible" one would not contribute to a significant enhancement of the safety of the installation?
I'll leave you to ponder, and perhaps even answer, that question - perhaps at the same time as you are considering the matter of the addition of earth rods to all TN installations!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All EICRs are written wrt the current version of the regulations. A "combustible" CU could merit a C3. In fact, unless you are of the opinion that the IET are in the habit of putting pointless requirements into the regulations, how could you argue that replacing a "combustible" CU with a "non-combustible" one would not contribute to a significant enhancement of the safety of the installation?

In fact, unless you are of the opinion that the IET are in the habit of putting pointless requirements into the regulations, how could you argue that replacing a "combustible" CU with a "non-combustible" one would not contribute to a significant enhancement of the safety of the installation?

But metal CUs are NOT non-combustible. You yourself even posted a picture of a burnt out one.

But metal CUs are NOT non-combustible.
Indeed not. In fact, as has often been said, nothing is 'non-combustible'.

However, for those whole believe that it matters, I suppose one would have to concede that metal CUs are 'less combustible' than plastic ones.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed not. In fact, as has often been said, nothing is 'non-combustible'.

However, for those whole believe that it matters, I suppose one would have to concede that metal CUs are 'less combustible' than plastic ones.

Kind Regards, John
What is 'nothing' made of then ?

DS

Only on new installations. Regs are not retrospective.
On a new installation it would not be a recommendation:?: but it would be fair to say that on an existing one, it would be ;)
That is my point, when remarking upon existing installations (which is true of this topic), it would be common to comment on a fuse board/CU/DB that was not of a combustible type or not enclosed in a non-combustible enclosure. So we would remark upon that with a recommendation. Nothing to do with new installations or retrospective regs. I code 3 it, like I do when the board is not labelled correctly. But I ain't expecting the customer to ask me to change it or label everything up.

Last edited:
I thought it was quite humourous. Like when people say "Nothing rhymes with orange". It doesn't.
Very true.

If the comment had come from almost anyone else, I would probably have responded with a " :) " ! However, some people cannot resist any opportunity to have a dig at me so, even if their intent is actually humour, I can't trust it to be so!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back