Cooker Diversity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cooker install currently protected buy a 30amp rewire-able fuse, The max rating of the cooker is 5.5kw

To me this does not seem quite right!

Yes i know 5500/230 = 23.9 amps but if you apply cooker diversity
10 + 30% of remainder (4.1) = 14amp +- 5 for extra plug socket

But what do you people think is it better to use Diversity on a cooker circuit or not?

EDIT(Ok should say Oven)

Sponsored Links
5.5kw sounds like an oven or a hob.

If it is an oven, do not use diversity, as full load could be pulled for a while.

I would only install an oven on its own circuit. No socket.

The diversity rules for cooker circuits, IMO are too generous. A 40A appliance should be on a 40A circuit.

Cooker control units with sockets should be outlawed.

In the real world it is necessary to use diversity.
Otherwise you'll have a consumer unit full up with 40amp CBs and need a 600amp supply to each house!

Just add up the values of the CPDs at your house. Do they come to more than the suppy fuse value?

In the real world it is necessary to use diversity.
Otherwise you'll have a consumer unit full up with 40amp CBs and need a 600amp supply to each house!

Just add up the values of the CPDs at your house. Do they come to more than the suppy fuse value?
Yes, but I was talking about cooker diversity. I'm not suggesting we have 260A ring finals because I have 20 sockets!

Sponsored Links
As i put in my edit i ment to put oven though i didn't think i mattered as i though Cooker was a general term.

According to the book their should be a 20 amp double pole switch installed for oven and 45amp for oven +hob BTW i have non

That would suggest 20amp fuse would have been ok but i just wanted some opinions

I'd try to steer away from using diversity on a cooker circuit and give it as much current as allowable.
Of course if you are trying to make the sums work for your maxmium demand, fair play, it's a tool that can be used.

Yes, but I was talking about cooker diversity. I'm not suggesting we have 260A ring finals because I have 20 sockets!

My comment was to Peter's OP. You have faster fingers than me and got your post in while I got too wordy, again!

Hello.
As PBT says d&d can be 'used' I agree, but I wouldn't want my precious 2 hrs in the pub on X- mas day ruined by customers calling me to telling me the "electrics gone" for the sake of using a larger cable/mcb than I should have in the first place.
Only my humblest of opinions.
Ed

Remember that the purpose of the fuse is to protect the installed cable, NOT the appliance. Providing the cable between the cooker and the connection unit is also rated >=30A as installed then the installation is safe. You don't need to reduce the fuse rating just because cooker does not need the full 30A.

wheres coljack?

Diversity can be applied, its down to the designer of the circuit to assess the level of diversity appropriate. The 10A+30% jobby is a decent guidline to work with, but not an absolute rule.

There is a suggestion that a 32A circuit is usually sufficient to supply cooking appliances upto 15kW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back