COOKER extractor for narrow chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing 6 inch aluminium flue liner running up inside an old chimney. It runs up appprox 10 feet to the chimney cowl. (The flue was previously used to vent a gas fired Aga).

The chinmey narrows very quickly from the hearth to approx 9 inches wide so it makes installing a conventional cooker hood impossible.

We are replacing the aga with a rangemaster cooker with a gas hob. I'm planning to custom build the extraction system by installing mesh filters flush with the bottom of the chimney opening and install an extractor fan above this to pull the cooking fumes throught the filters and blast it up the flue liner. Does anyone have an suggestions on where to start looking for a sufficiently powerful/suitable fan that would fit in the space?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Difficult to suggest anything really, a drawing with dimensions would help, or alternatively have you tried e-bay?

I would be tempted to make friends with a kitchen fitter, and see if you can get hold of one or two second hand cooker hoods you can pull apart and 'recycle' the innards for your application, or at least see what makes them tick.

Hanging above a cooker hob is quite a hostile environment (high temperatures, high humidity, steam, oil, grease etc. etc.) for an 'off the shelf' fan unit originally designed for other applications.

Sponsored Links
I would be tempted to make friends with a kitchen fitter, and see if you can get hold of one or two second hand cooker hoods you can pull apart and 'recycle' the innards for your application, or at least see what makes them tick.

Hanging above a cooker hob is quite a hostile environment (high temperatures, high humidity, steam, oil, grease etc. etc.) for an 'off the shelf' fan unit originally designed for other applications.

That's a good suggestion, I've been given a nearly new addvent extractor but the whole process is proving tricky!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back