Cooker Extractor issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My cooker extractor stopped working along time ago (completely dead, no lights etc).
Excuse the stupid question, but how do I determine if it is the mains supply or the extractor that is faulty?
Thanks in advance.

DSC_0887.JPG
DSC_0888.JPG

Sponsored Links
Can you see where the extractor cable connects to the mains supply ,either by a plug and socket ,or a connection unit maybe ?

Sponsored Links
It's switched off in the photo by the looks of it on the grid switch or is that deliberate?

Can you see where the extractor cable connects to the mains supply ,either by a plug and socket ,or a connection unit maybe ?

Hi, thanks for your reply. There's one black wire from the unit that dissappears in the direction of the mains socket. I've just found a plug above left of the fan too. Pics attached.
Thanks.
DSC_0893.JPG
DSC_0894.JPG

Try plugging another item into the socket ,lamp ,hairdryer to prove the socket is ok. If socket is ok ,change the fuse in the extractors plug. If it still doesn't work ,and doesn't blow the plugs fuse ,then there is an issue within the extractor unit.
Your pics seems to have a black wire at one side ,but a grey one in the plug . Is that so ,or just a misleading picture ?

Try plugging another item into the socket ,lamp ,hairdryer to prove the socket is ok. If socket is ok ,change the fuse in the extractors plug. If it still doesn't work ,and doesn't blow the plugs fuse ,then there is an issue within the extractor unit.
Your pics seems to have a black wire at one side ,but a grey one in the plug . Is that so ,or just a misleading picture ?

Thanks Terry,
The black wire seems to goes from the motor to small black box.
The grey wire goes from the plug to this unit above the extractor controls.
DSC_0895.JPG

Obviously the grey wire is supply into the extractor unit ,and the black an lnternal wire to the motor.
First thing to do is as I posted earlier.

Fuse blows for a reason ,if you haven't found out what caused it to blow ,it may well blow again.
In my experience, 99% of kitchen extractor faults is that one of the lamps has blown, which takes out the 3amp fuse.

So no mystery. Put in new fuse, change the faulty lamp.

Next patient, please.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back