cooker from spur, Is this safe??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. Getting my new kitchen fitted on Monday and i was having a look at the electrics installed by previous owner. I was always wondered why my cooker didn't have an isolator switch and i just found out that the cooker is wired as a spur to a double socket that also has a spur for some low voltage lights.

I don't know much about electrics but that doesn't seem like good practice at all. I suppose there could be a FCU behind the cooker but i doubt it very much.

Is it safe to run a cooker from a spur?

Sponsored Links
I presume you mean a built in oven rather than a freestanding cooker, some ovens will be ok off a fused spur, but it depends what their rating is. It is not a good idea to run a spur from a spur, particularly where you may be near the limit of the load carring capacity of the first one. Is your kitchen installer registered to carry out electrical work or does he employ someone who is, as alterations in the kitchen may fall under the part p building regs., if he is/does then he should be able to tell you the suitability of the supply for any new appliances.

Hairy Steve, please clarify what sort of appliance you want to wire up. Is it:

a)freestanding all in one cooker unit
b)single built in oven rated less than or at 3KW
c)single or double oven rated at more than 3KW
d)hob

i)electric
ii)gas

Sponsored Links
sorry guys.

single built in electric oven and gas hob. Don't know the new oven rating as it's under a pile of boxes.

Currently there are two double sockets in the kitchen. One has two spurs running the cooker and another double socket.

The other socket spur is a double socket.

I've got a spark coming round in half an hour to quote for following

Move one double socket about two feet.
Re-wire ceiling for 4x spots
add FCU for built in fridge freezer
add FCU for a boiler

He'll need to break into the ring main to sort this out?

Or am i talking out my bum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back