Cooker/Hob and wiring ratings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here and wondered if I could pick your brains.

Scenario

Recent kitchen extension - Using existing wiring which was replaced about 3 years ago.

I've bought a leccy oven and hob and want to know the best way to wire it.

Specs

The current (no pun intended) wiring for the cooker is 6mm.
It runs approx 36foot from the CU and is in large plastic trunking with about 4x other cables.

It is using a 32Amp MCB.

The new hob is a Beko H11 64403 220-240V 6.4KW 27.82A
The new cooker is Kenwood KD150 230V 4400W 19.13A
So I'm looking at a total of approx 48A total.

Questions/Thoughts

Will the existing 6mm cable take this load?

Or would you suggest running another set of 6mm cable so one can run the cooker and the other the hob? Or would 10mm cable be more suitable to do both.

I'd like to avoid the cable replacing if possible as I've already decorated over most of it (its cable clipped to the battened wall).

I've read that moving the cable so it's not bunched with other cables and clipping to the wall helps, but I think the 48A is already over the top rating for that cable anyways so prob not an option.

I want and have to do it properly as it needs a certificate for Building regs.

Thanks in advance. I may end up getting a sparky in to do this, but would like to know people's ideas on the best way to achieve it so please don't just say 'Get a Pro in'.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Cooker circuits provided for with 6mm² and a 32A MCB are very common.

Rules of diversity allow this.

The diversity calculation for cookers is:

Take the first 10A then add 30% of the remainder to it, plus 5A if the cooker control switch has a socket attached.

So, do that calc and see if the total is <32A.

Thanks for your reply - I think my post was a little muddled so tried to clear it up a bit by editing it.

I wish to connect my new leccy hob and oven to the existing 6mm cable, but wish to know the max rating of this cable given my details above.

I know I may need to up the fuse in the CU for this (all the new RCD stuff) and worse case scenario for me run a new cable.

Any ideas my good people.

Sponsored Links
The circuit is OK as it is using diversity.

If you want to upgrade the circuit breaker, then you'll need to rewire.

Hi all,
The current (no pun intended) wiring for the cooker is 6mm.
It runs approx 36foot from the CU and is in large plastic trunking with about 4x other cables.

It is using a 32Amp MCB.

The new hob is a Beko H11 64403 220-240V 6.4KW 27.82A
The new cooker is Kenwood KD150 230V 4400W 19.13A
So I'm looking at a total of approx 48A total.

Questions/Thoughts
you have a total load of 46.93A
a 6mm T&E cable can carry a maximum (no de-rating correction factor) of 47A, surface mounted trunking would reduce that to 38A and with about four other cables ? I assume for circuits?
A group rating factor of 0.60 would apply.
38 x 0.6= 22.8A
offering diversity to total output
(36.93 x 0.30) +10 =21.1A
Cable can carry after de-rating 22.8A
Demand after diversity is 21.1A

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back