Cooker hood duct - re-attaching to kitchen wall (tiles)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, forgive the following stupid question but I am a novice at kitchen appliances.

I inherited a New World cooker extraction hood and noticed that there is a lot of nasty metal vibration noise if it is turned up to the highest setting. Closer inspection revealed that one possible contribution is that the 'duct' (please correct me if this is not the correct term!) has come loose from where it was fixed to the wall tiles! Looks like it was only done with some kind of adhesive...see attached photos.

Simple question - what most likely is the white adhesive/sealant that's been used to join this thing previously (see photos) and is this what I should use to re-attach the thing to the tiles behind. Just want to be sure that I use the right thing - obviously wouldn't want to use something flammable that close to the cooker!

Thanks in advance
View media item 59757 View media item 59758

Sponsored Links
I would say that it is white silicon sealant & the fact that it has been used at the base of the chimney/top of the hood suggests that either it has been cut badly(the chimney) or the hood has not been set level. There is normally a screw either side at the top of the chimney that fix to wall brackets (can't really tell from the pic if they are there or not), this may be why it has come loose & vibrates.

I also thought it was white silicone sealant - thanks. Is that safe / appropriate to use in this location?

I honestly reckon the chimney may have ben attached to the wall itself using this sealant alone! But I need to check. I'm a bit scared to try and remove it in case the whole thing comes off the wall! But nothing ventured, nothing gained, I suppose...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back