cooker hood extraction in roof spcae

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys...i was just wondering if you can have thr cooker hood extraction point in the roof space above the kitchen ?...the roof has breathable felt and also has vent trim all along one side...so it allows air to flow in....can you do this ?....i have a pitched roof with tiles and dont really want to go through the roof for extraction the fumes etc when cooking....cheers

Sponsored Links
not a good idea at all you are going to introduce hot moist air into the loft
every thing up there will stink of cooking get coverd in grease and moisture as the air cools

so in short you will have a damp smelly greasy[fire hazzard] loft

I would have thought you could replace part of your vent trim with an exhaust manifold & duct it out through the soffit.

Have to agree with big-all on this one. You cannot simply extract into a roof space, so you will have to terminate via a flexi-duct to a tile-vent.

Alternatively, if your soffit is wide enough, you could drill a 4" hole and fix a soffit vent and extract it that way. This will be much cheaper since you could do this yourself.

Sponsored Links
i could have vented through the soffit, but my roof is a pitched roof at one end and against a wall at the other, where the soffit end is about 12 meters away, so out goes the question of venting through the soffit, I could vent through the side wall, but dont really want to see ducting running above the the wall mounted kitchen units....we have just had the roof of the kitchen retiled, so im gonna go for the "through the roof" option....i have some antique brown sandtoft roof tiles, ive been told to buy a tile like this that has an exhaust outlet on top...and to connect some ducting underneath via a ducting kit...seems easy enough, my only concern is removing a tile..thanks for the advice and help.

if the cooker is on (or close to) an external wall, it is a lot easier to make a hole in the wall and vent through that.

You can hire a 105mm core drill, it is quite easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back