Baumatic: "cooker hoods do not extract steam"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
According to Baumatic: cooker hoods "are not designed to extract steam".

Is this true?

That's what their (only marginally helpful) 'technical advice' department says. They say "it extracts odours". But not vapour apparently.

If that is the case what is the point of a extracting cooker hood?

I cannot see why installing what is essentially a fan in a duct to the outside, with an extraction rate over 60 l/s, does not deal with steam.

Baumatic's agents did not / could not explain why they say this. What happens to the moisture in all the air it extracts? Does it condense in the pipe? Emulsify with the grease in the filter? Get catalysed into separate oxygen and hydrogen molecules to power a fuel cell that runs the light?

Just to make it clear, I am talking about an extractor hood, not the recirculating air type. And Baumatic's comments make me wonder if a fan is a better job. I know it doesn't do grease but sounds like it will be a lot simpler and at least you know what you're getting.

But what do you think? Do cooker hoods extract moisture or not? Do I have faulty expectations, or are Baumatic talking rubbish?

Sponsored Links
Of course your extractor will shift steam, but what Baumatic could be on about is that they wouldn't be responsible for any condensate that could collect in the pipe and maybe run back down into the hood.....
All I can think of, anyway!
John :)

Sponsored Links
I just called a builder to ask his point of view. He had no comment on Baumatic but said:

"An extractor is there to pull fresh air in, as much as to take vapour out. Whether a cooker hood does the same job I don't know."

Hands up if you would opt for an extractor over a cooker hood?

Would that be saving us a pointless expense?

Well I think a cooker hood is an extractor in a purpose-made enclosure to increase its efficiency, but that's my last coomment as I feel this is becoming foolish.

As far as I know, any make of hood will only extract vapour efficiantly if it externally vented, if not it will only recycle it back into the kitchen taking odours out through the filter.

Colin

If it isnt extracting the steam them quite simply your extraction tube on top of the hood isnt up to the job, fitters usually use flexible tumble dryer venting tube which is never up to the job, only rigid 5 inch tube is usually good enough for most hoods.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back