Cooker hood extractor fan traffic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

i have recently built an extension on my semi-detactched bungalow. The main part of the extension is a 5 metre long kitchen that is built right up to the boundary between me and my attatched neighbour. My cooker is against this wall and I am about to fit an extractor fan which will be vented to allow the steam etc to be taken to outside the property.

What I want to ask is: Is it possible to put the vent through the wall so the steam etc will be pumped out into my neighbours garden? Is there any law/regulation about this. My neighbour died recently and the property is empty but up for sale so I can't really ask anyone for permission. I'd really rather do it that way as the extension is flat roof (warm deck) so there is no roof space to use in order to get to the rear of the extension. the only other option is up through the roof.

Appreciate any advice any of you might have.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Please do NOT do this, many many people come on other sites complaining because the neighbour has put ignorantly put their extractor output onto the their land.

Would you like it if kitchen smells, steam etc were blown into your garden, stopping you using it when its active?

What about how you will be preventing them from building their own extension etc because of this?

Put a proper ceiling vent in, go through the roof.

You will [potentially] be creating a Statutory Nuisance if you discharge your fan over a boundary.

There is no law to actually stop you doing it, but if the neighbour (or any future neighbour) complains then you could be required to move it. Also if this is picked up on a survey as part of your future house sale, then it's something which I would expect any buyer to be made aware of, in terms of the significant risk of potential future action

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back