Cooker hood/hob ignition from cooker socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have been reading for a while about this but just want to confirm that what I intend to do is legal and more importantly safe.

I have a 45amp cooker switch and socket that runs from a 30amp fuse in my fusebox with 6mm cable, it then comes out the switch unit to behind the cooker with a bullnose box for with the wire to the back of the cooker.

Above this bullnose is a FCU which appears to do nothing, it is spurred of the terminals in the bullnose with 2.5mm cable, the cooker cable does not go through it and nothing else comes out of it, a completely redundant FCU, with a 3a fuse in it.

I plan to come from the FCU into a single socket for the gas hob igniter, then from the single socket to the cooker hood.

I think it is above board, but to confirm...

Do I need a FCU for both sockets or is the one enough?

Is 2.5mm cable from the bullnose ok or should it be 6mm to the FCU?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I have a 45amp cooker switch and socket that runs from a 30amp fuse in my fusebox with 6mm cable, it then comes out the switch unit to behind the cooker with a bullnose box for with the wire to the back of the cooker.
Fit a proper Cooker Connection Unit.

Use a dual backbox or pattress.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Metal+Box/p36665

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...ses/Pattress+Box+Dual+32mm/d190/sd2634/p71672

I plan to come from the FCU into a single socket for the gas hob igniter, then from the single socket to the cooker hood.
Fit an FCU or socket for the hob igniter next to the CCU.

You can also run a cable for the hood either from the FCU (if used) or socket to the hood position where you should fit an FCU or socket.

No, there will be fuses in the plugs if you use sockets.

2.5mm² will be fine but use the accessories as above.

Thanks for the reply.

There is already a proper cooker connector unit, my apologies for incorrect terminology, I was calling it a bullnose.

There is a FCU next to the CCU but it doesn't go anywhere after that, this is where I was planning on taking the feed for a socket to be placed next to the FCU for the hob ignitor then from that socket to one behind the cooker hood.

Have attached a picture of current behind oven set up.

Fit a proper Cooker Connection Unit.

Use a dual backbox or pattress.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Metal+Box/p36665

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ele...ses/Pattress+Box+Dual+32mm/d190/sd2634/p71672

Fit an FCU or socket for the hob igniter next to the CCU.

You can also run a cable for the hood either from the FCU (if used) or socket to the hood position where you should fit an FCU or socket.

No, there will be fuses in the plugs if you use sockets.

2.5mm² will be fine but use the accessories as above.

So your saying it's ok to connect a 2.5mm cable to a 30a fuse?

Sponsored Links
So your saying it's ok to connect a 2.5mm cable to a 30a fuse?

As long at the cable length is less than 3m, its within the regulations.
The shorter the better though

Surely you need to connect the supply from the fcu to the ccu with 6mm cable?

Thanks guys that clears that up then.

It will be less than 500mm, just a bit tricky to get a short length of 6mm cable!

Thanks again.

That's a bit crap... So you can connect a undersized cable to the fuse as long as its within 3 meters?!

So you can connect a undersized cable to the fuse as long as its within 3 meters?!
Of an OPD, yes.

The point, though, is it is not undersized.

The 3A fuse is being used to protect against overload, not the 30A in the CU.
The 30A is protecting the 2.5mm² against short-circuit and fault current.

What can happen to this bit of 2.5mm²?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back