existing cooker switch spur to cooker hood FCU..legal?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the interest of not having to have any new electrical work done before retiling our kitchen, can someone give me an opinion on this setup

45A cooker switch with additional socket is fed by 6mm cable. Same 45A cooker switch+socket is spurred to adjacent 3A FCU using 6mm cooker cable (6mm required yes?). The 3A FCU feeds the cooker hood with 2.5mm wire.

the cooker switch looks like:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/23484...d/Volex-Range/Volex-45A-Cooker-Control-Switch

The cooker in use is a freestanding electric fan oven (2.5kW) and gas hob.

we would ideally like to keep the additional socket that is on the cooker switch

Although not what a qualified spark might fit, is this legal according to latest regs??

Sponsored Links
In the interest of not having to have any new electrical work done before retiling our kitchen,
Better than afterwards!

45A cooker switch with additional socket is fed by 6mm cable. Same 45A cooker switch+socket is spurred to adjacent 3A FCU using 6mm cooker cable (6mm required yes?). The 3A FCU feeds the cooker hood with 2.5mm wire.
Sounds OK, although technically the manufacturer does not specify that the terminals are suitable for 2 cables...

So it is not regarded as spurring from a spur to join the 3A fused switch to the 45A cooker switch + 13A switched socket? Or does 'fused' aspect of the 3A fused switch get around this issue?'

You're not spurring off a spur, you're extending a radial, so ok. Is it already done and operational btw?

Sponsored Links
I see, I was comparing this setup to wiring a FCU to a 2gang socket

yes already in place, looks neat inside and works fine and was done prior to part P based on when we moved in. Hence my wish to leave well enough alone of legal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back