Cooker Hood/Motor tripping RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys

All the details here relate to a cooker hood tripping the RCD.

I have included photos of the wiring connections.

The readings below were taken from the motor after it was disconnected from the cooker hood.

It is a Logic L60CHDG13. Although the wiring is shown it was purchased as a fully assembled system, complete with fused plug. I only dismantled it to check Ohms readings.

Multimeter on 200 Ohms scale:

Red to white 61.4
Red to blue 09.4
Red to Black 20.0
Red to Earth 0.0

White to Blue 52.2
White to Black 43.3
White to earth 0.0

Blue to Black 09.2
Blue to Earth 0.0

Can someone please guide me from these readings ?. I intend to retest the cooker hood again but will wait for a response.

Many thanks.

Nitell

Attachments

• DSC_0166[1].JPG
    DSC_0166[1].JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 581
  • DSC_0167[1].JPG
    DSC_0167[1].JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 151
  • DSC_0168[1].JPG
    DSC_0168[1].JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 677
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Lord knows what you have or how it is wired internally.

However, this is the forum for electrical matters. What electricians do is mostly concern themselves with the fixed wiring of buildings.

A cooker hood is an appliance.

I suggest you do two things:
1. Post on this topic a note of the make and model of the hood
2. Hit the report button at the bottom of each message and ask the moderators to move you to the APPLIANCES forum.

I think we all do it, we try to use a multi-meter to test for insulation problems, and some times it works, but really to test insulation the meter needs to use 500 volt not 9 volt as used with most multi-meters. As to wiring I have not a clue, but I am assuming you have wired as instructions say, but it trips the RCD. Which one would think means there is a leakage to earth. To test you can either measure the earth leakage in mA using a PAT testing machine or clamp on ammeter, or measure the megΩ using at least 250 volt. There is really no other way.

Sponsored Links
Presuming you have a 3 speed fan, does it have a separate on/off switch & does it make any difference which speed it is set for before switching on, does it still trip the rcd at each speed setting? Was it purchased as a NEW fully assembled system or a used one? If it is the former then why are you bothering trying to repair it & not getting a replacement under warranty?

It was purchased new, but there is a story as regards warranty.

However, I have now put it back together and it is working perfectly.

Thanks to everyone for your help and advice.

Nitell

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back