Cooker hood outlet position.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

How close to a house corner is it safe to breach the block/brickwork to place a cooker hood outlet? This will entail a fairly large hole internally to take an adapter from 5" flat duct (204mm x 60mm) to a 5" round outlet. I appreciate that it would make more sense to take the flat duct out to an air vent outlet, but I cannot find one fitted with flaps that will prevent backdraft.

Sponsored Links
As close as you like.

A 5" hole has little if any structural implications

Not for a hole

What were you looking at - sounds like the reference to buttressing and wall returns

Sponsored Links
That's for a window opening; at worst were talking about 1 brick, there is nothing in the regs. (or even structural wise) that restricts the location of a small vent hole. My extract vent is a ½ brick off the return & the house hasn't fallen down yet!

It's the min dimension for a return, without requiring a calculation to justify its stability; relevant only to structural openings.

As Woody and RC say, a one brick hole won't make the slightest difference structurally.

Oh, these games are silly

I think it best to end there before a mod closes it down

<phew, got out of that one>

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back