cooker hood problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can help.

I have a Stoves 1000 Range Chimney cooker hood. Problem is lights do not work. This was installed by previous owner and lights have never worked. Fan works fine.

I checked around and thought to check the fuse, a 13 amp fuse was in place (instruction manual says 3 amp!). Checked the fuse on another appliance and it is ok. However, when taking out/putting in, the fuse does not fit snuggly - it sits in a kind of basket affair? which is difficult to see what is going on - I'm wondering if this can be the problem? or something else?

Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It isn't the fuse - if that fails, the fan won't work either.

If the lamps are ok, then loose connection(s) inside the hood, or a faulty switch are most likely.

Most likely you have SES 40W lamps in there, either pygmy's or candles.

Often ES or SES lampholder contacts get compressed and will not make contact with the endcap of the lamp, even if fully screwed in.

Try (WITH POWER DISCONNECTED) to gently prise the contacts away from the lampholder to improve (or reinstate) contact with the lamp's cap.

Use a small terminal driver and be very gentle.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.
The bulbs are ok, have checked. Also fuse is ok.
I have done a recce of the wiring which appears ok. Not sure about the switch (which is hard to get to).
I will perhaps have a try at the contacts next though I'm a bit concerned about messing around with those purely because the bulb sockets are hard to get to and will basically be working by feel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back