Cooker Hood Vent Kits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody help me?

I live on the 5th floor of a block of flats and I am having trouble with condensation in my kitchen caused by cooking.

I have a cooker hood that was in place when I moved in,but it is not vented out and does nothing to remove the steam when cooking.I want to find a vent kit that can be fitted from the inside as it is imposssible for me to fit a cowl / cover on the outside wall five floors up.Does such an animal exist,and where can I find it?

Many Thanks,

Lee Taylor

Sponsored Links
My father-in-law lives in exactly the same stile house as me. Next door but one. We also have a layout which means no extractor can be used. He has problems and we do not. Why is simple he uses gas we use electric.

The gas cooker when the gas burns turns hydrocarbons into CO2 and H2O so the fact he is burning gas puts water into the room.

Add to that the control. Our hob can be set to auto-boil then simmer his needs him to turn it down so likely his pans boil away longer than ours.

Temperature is also a problem in his kitchen. The gas hob is nearly 6kW yet it takes longer to boil a pan of water than our 3.7kW hob. Why! Well our hob puts the heat directly into the pan not into the kitchen in general. It is an induction hob and older electric was not as good as gas. So he has one advantage. He can use a wok but since I am not into that type of food it does not worry me.

Clearly changing cooker may not be an option but you must realise any gas appliance needs an extractor not only for water and heat but also other combustion products so if there is no extractor then really you should cook electric.

There are de-humidifiers which will remove water but it will not remove CO2 or any other gases released. Using carbon filters will remove smells but again does not remove CO2 and other gases.

What seems to me odd is the builders piped gas to the kitchen and put the outlet in same place as electric point for cooker even though the kitchen has no extractor and as such the gas cooker should have been next to door or window.

So I cook electric as it has more control and puts less heat and water into kitchen. Even on chocolate melt setting I have never had the flame blow out on my electric cooker. From what I am told you can't turn gas down that low?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back