Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know of a regulation , electrical or otherwise
stating the minimum distance a cooker isolator can be to the cooker

i cant find one

cheers

Sponsored Links
No specific regulation, but >300mm tends to be accepted as the norm.

and as well as being in clear view, it should not be on the wall directly behind/above the hob where, in the event of e.g. a Fat Fire, you would have to reach through smoke and flames to turn it off :eek:

Sponsored Links
if it's a gas hob the manufacturers normally require 100mm clearance to either side from sockets and cabinets etc..

cheers

300mm recomended minimum but no reg

what about a building reg

There's not a building reg re this. The 300mm minimum relates to sockets from a sink.

The MAXIMUM distance is mentioned in the OSG and that is 2 metres from the appliance but not directly above it. I cannot find a regulation in BS7671 that states 2metres.

When positioning accessories you need to consider the environment. I once visited a greasy spon cafe to do a survey and the socket for the fat fryer wasdirectly above the fryer itself!

Hello,

You dont want to put the isolator directly behind the cooker.

There is guidance to suggest that if there are 2 cooking devices connected to the isolator, they should both be within 2 metres of isloator.
There is nothing more specific AFAIK, but i use this as a rule of thumb for anything connected to it.

There is nothing to say you must have the isolator in clear view.
This is misconception held by some electricians depending on their belief of the intended purpose of the isolator.

But having it in clear view can be useful in the house owner is not there ( or is there but unable to speak ) to tell a visitor how to isolate the equipment that needs to be isolated as quickly as possible to prevent ( further ) damage, injury or death.

could be of use, but i think that scenario is quite unlikely.
In the event of a cooking related incident, the controls at the front of the cooking device could still be used to remove heat.
In the event of an electrical fault with an appliance, i would suggest that if installed properly, the CPD/s at the source of that circuit should be able to disconnect power due to ADS.
IMO opinion, in a domestic (not commercial/industrial) environment, the primary use of a cooker isolator is for maintenance. However, if you are the designer and a risk assessment of the installation prior to install suggests that local emergency isolation is required, then that would be different.

In the event of a cooking related incident, the controls at the front of the cooking device could still be used to remove heat.

Not always. An incident when visiting friends. An electric oven cooking the roast dinner. Smell of burning comes from the kitchen. Cook opens drop down oven door and is hit in the face by very hot fumes and smoke. Dull red glow can been seen in the oven. High risk of the fumes and the oven contents igniting so essential to clear kitchen and shut door as quickly as possible. Main switch is on wall above cooker so out of safe reach, main switch in consumer unit is the only way to get power OFF , .(this involved moving heavy arm chair to get to cupboard ) Turn off main switch and pull the cooker fuse and then restore power for lights to be able to treat the scorched face and hair.

Fault was the oven thermostat had failed in the ON position and the elements had been continuously on.
[/i]

IGOT PULLED ON IT..

on a renevation, contract and a penpusher was adamant on 300mm away

cheers guys i couldnt find it either

IGOT PULLED ON IT..

on a renevation, contract and a penpusher was adamant on 300mm away

cheers guys i couldnt find it either

Got to agree with RF Lighting its not in Part P.

The only reference I've got is the Electricians Guide to the Building Regulations where Section 4.4 page 55 states, 'it is recommended that a control switch or cooker control unit should be installed and placed within 2 metres of the appliance, but not directly above'

While they 'recommend it' there is no specific reference as to where the recommendation came from.

But you could use it to challenge the penpusher et al about their 3 metre figure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back