Cooker - Replacement with new - do new building regs apply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am seeking to replace an existing 5 year old built-in single oven electric cooker with a new double-oven.

I've wired up cookers before but not since the new building regs from Jan 2005.

If it's an existing installation and all I'm doing is replacing the lump of metal on the end....do I need certification and all the rest of it?

Cheers,

NickO

Sponsored Links
A literal reading of the law says that yes, you do, as it is a fixed appliance.

But the guidelines issued by the ODPM are so flakey that the chances of you getting caught and then anything being done to you are about zero.

Have you done due diligence with the rating of the new oven vs cable size and MCB/fuse rating?

ban-all-sheds said:

How do you come to that conclusion BAS? It sounds to me as though it should be included in "Replacing any electrical fitting..." which is not notifiable even if in a kitchen or special location.

providing the existing circuit can take the new cooker, i would just change it

Sponsored Links
Stoday said:
ban-all-sheds said:

How do you come to that conclusion BAS? It sounds to me as though it should be included in "Replacing any electrical fitting..." which is not notifiable even if in a kitchen or special location.
Good grief are we always to encounter this type of misunderstanding?

I said "A literal reading of the law", i.e. Statutory Instrument 2004 No. 3210 The Building (Amendment) (No.3) Regulations 2004.

You copied the phrase "Replacing any electrical fitting..." from Approved Document P, and as I have explained countless times before, on here and on other fora:

APPROVED DOCUMENT P IS NOT THE LAW. IT DOES NOT DEFINE THE LAW. IT DOES NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE LAW.

THE GUIDELINES AND BROCHURES ON THE ODPM WEBSITE ARE NOT THE LAW. THEY DO NOT DEFINE THE LAW. THEY DO NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE LAW.

THE INFORMATION ON THE WEBSITES OF NICEIC/ECA/NAPIT/ELECSA/UTCAA IS NOT THE LAW. IT DOES NOT DEFINE THE LAW. IT DOES NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE LAW.

CONVERSATONS WITH PEOPLE AT THE ODPM DO NOT DEFINE THE LAW. THEY DO NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE LAW.

THE UNDERSTANDING AND INTERPRETATIONS OF VARIOUS LABC OFFICERS DO NOT DEFINE THE LAW. THEY DO NOT ACCURATELY REFLECT THE LAW.

THE LAW IS HERE, AND * O N L Y * HERE:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back