cooker switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,we had new gas and electric combo fitted last year.cooker is controlled by single 32 amp switch supported by 32 amps mcb in C U .few days ago electric side of cooker went off.looked on mcb still on.opened the switch to have a look if any connection is gone loose.shocked to see live terminals in and out have melted in fact half of the switch around live connection terminals melted and burnt and did not trip mcb out.could it be if bad quality switch and melted under heat.is there any large plate 32 amp switch available without socket.

Sponsored Links
Could be down to a number of reasons, what output does the cook have?
The terminals on the iso may have also been loose.
You are most probably better of getting 45A isolator.
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=45a+cooker+switch[/QUOTE]i can not remember cooker out put but at the time of fitting we sought advice this forum experts and all worked out out put less than 32 amps .although i wanted 45 amp mcb and same switch size but they said we do not need more than 32.what is two pole cooker switch which only has one switch and is longer than single switch.

Sponsored Links
what is two pole cooker switch which only has one switch and is longer than single switch.
It opens both poles - Live and Neutral.

Loose terminals overheat.
It would make no difference whether 32, 45 or 50A switches.
you say it makes no difference weather 32,45,or 50A switches.if C U has 32A mcb and cable is 6mm can you still use 45A switch.sorry earlier i was wanting to ask 32A OR 45a two gang switch not dp switch as some switches are longer witch one switch but say two gang.

MCB protects every item from overload on the circuit, therefor every item should be rated higher than the MCB (cable and switches). So yes you can/should use a 45A switch.

i was wanting to ask 32A OR 45a two gang switch not dp switch as some switches are longer witch one switch but say two gang.
The rating is the maximum current the acessory can carry so higher than required is fine.
now i have to choose between larger switch may be with 16Asocket or without.of course 45A one.one cooker switch which is 45A vertically long one switch only but says 2 gang.whats that.in previous qoutes a lot of experts has said avoid switch with socket.i would like to use large back box co ample space for cables.

now i have to choose between larger switch may be with 16Asocket or without.
That would be 13A socket.

of course 45A one.one cooker switch which is 45A vertically long one
They look horrible.

switch only but says 2 gang.whats that
It is confusing - in this case it means twice as big as one gang but normally 'two-gang' means it has two switches.

in previous qoutes a lot of experts has said avoid switch with socket.i would like to use large back box co ample space for cables.
I agree.
Square ones the same size as a single socket (one gang?) look best.
Just use a deep back box.

now i have to choose between larger switch may be with 16Asocket or without.of course 45A one.one cooker switch which is 45A vertically long one switch only but says 2 gang.whats that.in previous qoutes a lot of experts has said avoid switch with socket.i would like to use large back box co ample space for cables.

Do you actually have a double backbox and if so is it horizontal or vertical?

Do you actually have a double backbox and if so is it horizontal or vertical?
i happen to have both boxes horizontal and vertical.which is goin to be more reliable .horizontal i can see the benifit of socket but do not know which one to go for.

If you can see the benefits of a socket outlet and this outlet is not within 300mm of hob, sink/drainer and the centre of the socket is 150mm above any solid surface and you have 30mA RCD protection on this circuit, then go for it.
If not stick to isolation switch only. I personally have no preferences between single plate or vertical double plate, that is a decision of choice and the choice is yours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back