Cooker wiring help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New oven to fit (https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...double-oven-stainless-steel-10207020-pdt.html) - was expecting to use the existing 6mm t&e to fit this but just checked under the wiring cover and it's just small terminals...

Firstly, this just look like a flex connection, certainly wont take 6mm t&e - how are they so 'small' these days? Manual says to use a H05V2V2-F cable.

Secondly, and more importantly, I can't see anything that differentiates live from neutral for the two connections on the the left (earth is marked in the centre).

Any idea (save taking the back off) how I identify L from N - is there a convention?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is there not a wiring diagram in the instructions - or on the connector lid?

From what I can find it says it is 5.09kW (22A) so 2.5mm² flex would do, although it also says 30A power supply.

Thanks for the reply both. No markings on the lid, other than showing how to open the lid...
Nothing in the documentation.

We have a switched 30amp outlet there for a connection, I was just confused over the cable requirement and the obvious lack of wiring instruction.

The hob came today and that was pre-wired with a similar flex thickness cable - I was just expecting it to be thicker, previous oven was 6mm t&e ready wired, similar ampage. Hob looked like 5amp solid core t&e - I actually got more 6mm because I thought the job would require wiring and didn't think the 5amp I cut off would be enough!

Sponsored Links
Found this:

I don't know if it is correct.

The earth wire should always be longer than the other two so that it is the last to be disconnected should the cable be pulled out.

upload_2020-9-17_19-57-19.png

https://www.mybuilder.com/questions/v/38221/wiring-for-oven-terminal-block

Many thanks for that, not exactly the same but very close, will take a look at the others. Seems the same sort of design so would assume L\N are the same way around.

Fitted it today, took the back off quick to double check the wiring - is wired as your diagram notes EFLImpudence, many thanks again for looking for that. Got some of the recommended 2.5mm heat insulated flex from local Screwfix.
Funny though, was concerned about the wiring, noting that most would recommend wiring it with 6mm t&e - take a look at the diameter of wiring on the other side of the panel next fit - hint, it's a lot less than 6mm, I could have been looking inside a small appliance.

Funny though, was concerned about the wiring, noting that most would recommend wiring it with 6mm t&e

I don't think that is true at all. Why would most recommend unsuitable wiring (i.e. T & E) over twice the required size?

Well that's what I found, many of the recommendations I found whilst searching for help before starting this thread generally do recommend 6mm t&e to directly wire in a cooker.

I would agree that a lot would indeed continue (and recommend the continuation of) the 6mm² size of the cooker circuit, not realising that since the introduction of MCBs the circuit itself is oversized (with standard 32A MCB and method C).

A lot of things get done because that's what's always been done so that's what they do because it's always been done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back