cool radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello 1 of my rads is cooler than the rest. quite noticable difference all valves look to be fully open but still not heating up like the rest.
its been bled so dont think its that and im running out of options.
problem stems form i think the previous occupants have had it turned off for who knows how long.
any advise ?

Sponsored Links
If the valve is thermostatic and has been switched off for extended periods it has probably seized partially closed.

Also, they may have fully closed the lockshield (the small one without the thermostatic head)

Check that the lockshield is not fully closed (if it is open it 1 full turn anticlockwise and see what happens).

If the lockshield is open take off the thermostatic head body (sometimes they have a lockring at the base ond others have a small allen screw) and try and work the valve beneath to see if it is seized.

Then post back the results.

MW

Does it wear sunglasses & sing R&B ?
- like it

the thermo valve is 1 year old or thereabouts i think the problem is at the other side so will try it 1 turn anti-clock and give it a go. on the side with the smaller valve the pipe is red hot like all the others so i think the issue the valve or something in the valve

i did have a go with that and it made a very small difference in the temperature .. i think its likely a bit gunked up - is this a possibility ?

the grittish bas man cometh but if i can sort beforehand it'll save me half a day wait !

Sponsored Links
oh and er .. Check that the lockshield is not fully closed (if it is open it 1 full turn anticlockwise and see what happens).

is it anticlockwise to close and clockwise to open these valves ?
hey im a girl and blonde.. it aint all my fault !!

hey im a girl and blonde.. it aint all my fault !!
You should have said so up front ... The radiator is the big white thing on the wall where you hang the clothes you've ironed :LOL:

wotsit77 said:
...... on the side with the smaller valve the pipe is red hot like all the others so i think the issue the valve or something in the valve.....

If the pipework up to the lockshield is getting hot, it sounds like the TRV may be fitted on the return.... There's nothing wrong with that providing it is either a bidirectional valve, or fitted the right way round. Look for an arrow (or two for bidirectional valves) on the valve body indicating the flow direction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back