Cool Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all :D

I have a problem which has been going on for a while and would appreciate some assistance. I shall start from the beginning so apologies for the long post.

I had a new Worcester condensing boiler installed in January 2008 after the old boiler died. It would appear the previous occupants had never had it serviced (about 10 years without servicing) so I was determined to make sure I had an efficient heating system.

I paid about £1850 which included boiler buddy being installed and a flush of the system as recommended by the manufacturer.

Since install I have had the installers back on numerous occasions, mainly to replace previously installed parts (or so they said!). Each time I have paid as the guarantee only covers the boiler.

The most recent case of having the installers back was in August last year when the radiators downstairs were taking ages to heat up and when they did were only warm at the top and not the bottom. A power flush was needed (according to them) and despite boiler buddy added and the sysem flushed on install I had to pay for this also, albeit with a hefty discount due to other admin issues which I won't go into. They cleaned the boiler buddy and added inhibitor whilst doing the power flush.

The system worked for a while, however after recently testing the system the downstairs radiators didn't heat up at all. I balanced the system and they got warm at the top but cool at the bottom again. I have tested the pump and it is on the highest setting and the spindle is rotating, however it would appear the problem is sludge once more.

I say this as 2 of the radiators downstairs have a TRV on them. I took them off and tesed the pin to make sure it wasn't stuck. I took the pin out and black inky water came out (lucky I had a towel there!). Therefore I think there is sludge still in the system.

I have left a message with the installers as I think they should be liable considering a power flush was done a year ago and there is still sludge remaining. However I don't think they will feel the same and I know that sometimes older systems as mine is can sludge up a lot very quickly.

What do you guys think the best course of action is? Do you think I need to replace the offending radiators?

Many thanks and sorry for the long post.

James :eek:

Sponsored Links
After further research if the installer asks for extra money I think it may be worth taking the job on myself.

I am thinking of isolating and removing the radiators and then flushing them with a hosepipe to get any sludge out.

I then want to clean the boiler buddy (when I can find it) but not too sure how I would go about this. Has anyone any experience of isolating and cleaning a boiler buddy?

Many thanks,

James

Update - I isolated one of the radiators and unscrewed the union nuts and approx half a bucket of clear water came out of the flow side, nothing out if the return side. Unfortunately one of the nuts is cross threaded and I can't remove the radiator.

I am wondering if sludge is now the problem as the water was clear that came out. Guess I will need to sort the nut out and remove the radiator to tell for sure!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back