coolant brown colour - need changing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

For my sins I have a Rover 100, M reg (i.e. a re-badged metro).

The coolant is looking somewhat discoloured - a kind of brown colour, not especially brown or muddy but not a "clean" colour.

Should I replace it? AFAIK it has never been replaced in the 11 or so years life of the car.

If so where do I drain the old coolant from?

Sponsored Links
The rover engine is prone to airlocks after a water drain and refill, be very careful or you might roast it. If you really feel you have to drain it the best way is usually to pop the bottom radiator hose off. Make sure the system is cold before draining and refilling and always use a good antifreeze in the cooling system, it'll keep the system from corroding. There are usually little screw in drain plugs on the top hoses for releasing the trapped air when refilling the system. I'm not sure what you mean by not a clean colour? Are there any signs of oil in the coolant?

well I'm not really sure if it needs doing that was why I was canvassing for opinions.

what I meant by a "clean colour" is the clear but slightly blueish colour due to the inclusion of the coolant.

no, no oilyness on the surface of the water fortunately!

I would change it.... I think the general thing for coolant change is every 4 years or so.

Sponsored Links
you can always test it
am sure some of the tyre garages would do this for you
i remember getting told that if you stick your finger in it and taste it
and it tastes sweet its alright if not change it
but i proberly would advise that now

I would advise that you change the coolant. As previous posters have said this is a job to be done every few years. Get down to the local library and get a copy of the relevant Haynes manual - or photo-copy the relevant pages for specifics.
Generally though: When the car is cold; look for a drain plug at the bottom of the radiator before you go disturbing hoses. Undo the header tank cap, get a tray under the drain plug and loosen it so the coolant flows out. When the flow has ceased, tighten up the drain plug. Mix up the relevant proportions of anti-freeze and water and pour it VERY SLOWLY into the header tank until the 'max' mark is reached. The reason for pouring slowly is to minimise the chances of airlocks in the system. Cover the header tank opening with a cloth and start the car and run it up to operating temperature - when the fan cuts in turn it off. Whilst running up to temperature avoid the urge to 'encourage' it by blipping the throttle. Also whilst running up to temperature, top up the header to 'max' as needed SLOWLY. Having reached operating temperature and been turned off, leave the car to thoroughly cool down - ideally over night but at least for a good few hours. Remember that anti-freeze has a 'seeking' action especially a new mix so check for leeks. Once the car has cooled down, top up the header as necessary (SLOWLY) and give the hoses a squeeze or a tap to loosen any remaining trapped air. Finally replace the header cap and take for a test drive, return home and check for leeks. Whilst on the test drive put the heater on - if you only get cold air with the setting to hot then you've probably got an airlock - back to ticking over with cap off and squeezing hoses etc. Long and boring but worthwhile.
Best of luck

Thanks very much for the comprehensive reply BazzaS, will get on it sometime next week.

Sponsored Links
Back