Copper guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After spending time in europe I came to admire copper guttering and Down pipes

I don’t think I ve seen that in the Uk and some of my guttering needs replacing. Is there any reason why copper guttering is not more widely used ?

Sponsored Links
I think the stuff in Italy is copper-plate, probably on stainless.

It seems to stay very bright, not dull or green so it may be some other material.

Sponsored Links
Exactly it is very nice. Has anyone come across it. It’s a shiny copper colour.
I ve not seen it in the builder merchants

Exactly it is very nice. Has anyone come across it. It’s a shiny copper colour.
I ve not seen it in the builder merchants

My neighbour had it. Sadly I've moved now. If it was shiny, then it was either new, lacquered, or copper coloured as copper would go black pretty quickly, before slowly going green.

Anyway, a quick Google found UK suppliers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I helped put some around a barn conversion and TBH it felt a bit tinny and flimsy, colour looked almost painted on...looked ok from the ground though.

What is the expected life-time of galvanised guttering (assuming the galvanising doesn't get scratched/damaged, which would be my concern)?

Is there any reason why copper guttering is not more widely used ?

It may due to the fact that cast iron becomes brittle at the low temperatures that happen in mainland Europe. Also copper can be re-shaped after being damaged by snow sliding off the roof.

What is the expected life-time of galvanised guttering (assuming the galvanising doesn't get scratched/damaged, which would be my concern)?

This is what I have just installed supplied by gutter supplies - it isn't a traditional "galvanised" finish and the manufacturers themselves offer a 10 year warranty (OK, you would prob never be able to claim on it from here - but it shows the confidence they have). Galvanised is used throughout Europe and as I hate plastic guttering - it moves about, fades, get's brittle, etc I thought I would look for a reasonably priced alternative. I bought during an offer and I reckon material cost was plastic x 1.5-2

https://galeco.pl/en/products/galeco-luxocynk-system/elements/12090

I know of a close of 9 properties, 3 blocks of 3, housing older folk of the town, that have pure copper gutters, hoppers and downpipes. We did a repair on a leaking section when I was an Apprentice, the Boss was hoping they'd consider his idea to replace the lot with white Ogee. His offer was declined.

The local Council also decided it would be a brilliant idea to fit a sheet copper roof to the Town's Public Conveniences, when they renovated them, circa 1999. The building has recently passed from District to Town Council who have had the roof replaced with concrete tiles. They did receive a credit towards the work from the reclaiming of the copper they informed me. Apparently the Town Council didn't realise until the insurance people pointed it out that the building's roof was rather valuable!

Yeah we’ve done a couple. We used Lindab copper, we buy quite a bit of their steel gutter range. Fitted together perfectly. It’s good stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back