Moulde gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Wondering if anyone can help. Needing to replace cast iron guttering attached pic if any help. Usually replace most gutters but never replaced ones like these before. They,ve had a few people out to look at them but no ones came back after seeing it. So kind of hoping i can get it sorted for them.

Mostly wondering how these are actually attached. My best guess is through the masonary below. Thinking the bolt to attach the gutters together maybe goes through before tightening up then the bolt thread placed in drilled holes? But tbh i m not 100 percent sure. Back of the gutters have started to break up badly. Water getting in behind harling thats now boss and needing replaced as well.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200810_134028.jpg
    20200810_134028.jpg
    615.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 20200810_133037.jpg
    20200810_133037.jpg
    555.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 20200810_133050.jpg
    20200810_133050.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
We did one of those years ago and if I recall there are holes at the back of the gutter. Prob best to strip the tiles and have a look. If we be messing with that we’d hit him for strip and refelt as well as the gutter. It’s only a small roof. Then you can have peace of mind the whole thing is watertight.

Coach bolts into fascia board at the back.
Nothing difficult or complicated about it.

We did one of those years ago and if I recall there are holes at the back of the gutter. Prob best to strip the tiles and have a look. If we be messing with that we’d hit him for strip and refelt as well as the gutter. It’s only a small roof. Then you can have peace of mind the whole thing is watertight.

Thanks a lot mate. Much appreciated.

Think i will advise a strip and refelt. Hate these sort of jobs cause start getting pricey for the customer. Already dreading telling her how much the new replacement cast iron gutterings going to be.

Sponsored Links
Coach bolts into fascia board at the back.
Nothing difficult or complicated about it.

Thanks a lot mate. Much appreciated. Could nt really see a fascia behind the gutters. But probably find out more when i m stripping it.

The way the first course of slates sit i would expect rot in the timber the gutter is fixed to

The way the first course of slates sit i would expect rot in the timber the gutter is fixed to

Pretty sure that will be right. The felts definately perished anyway. Thinking best way forward....strip the roof. Re felt. Re use the slates. Fit new zinc or lead. Renew the timber. Fit new moulded cast iron. Re roughcast the bay window.

See between the felt at the eaves and beneath the gutter is anything recommended for there. To try to stop the cast from rotting at the bottom. Scary how much something like this can end up costing.

belt and braces, you could lay some lead with an upstand towards the back on top of the masonry . Front edge dressed down the outside any future gutter leak will not enter the render.

we use this a lot to prevent water saturating stone string courses under gutters.

you may have enough room to keep the gutter just above the lead to help prevent corrosion

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back