Copper nails - are they all the same?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to put some slates on a roof. The slates are Spanish Campo Lombao 400x250 heavies (so about 8mm thick). The site where I am building my house is a very exposed coastal location (Shetland) so they will be nailed and hooked.

I know that I need to use copper nails but my question is whether all copper nails are created equal or whether some brands are better than others?

Would I be right in assuming that I need 38mm nails?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
sorry, don't know the correct length. However, I also live in a coastal area, with large slates, and my roofer used copper nails, with extra ones centre, and the lower ones hooked over to prevent the bottoms of the slates lifting in high winds. My slates are thinner than yours and I had some sucked up and blown over the house in exceptional storms.

they also use stainless or bronze nails to withstand the salt spray, but these are too hard to bent over, so I think are used for the battens, and also for tiles which do not need hooking.

Looking at one website I have a choice of Copper Extra Large Head or Copper Annular Ring. Which would people pick?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back