Nails and slate hooks together?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to build my own house in a very exposed site (Shetland). It is going to have a slate roof at a 45 degree pitch.

I really want the slates to stay on in the winter gales so I am wondering if there is a reason why (other than cost) I shouldn't double nail the slates and use slate hooks?

I know that it's not common but is there any reason why I shouldn't do it?

Thanks
AA

Sponsored Links
If you use "good natural slate" and use galvanised nails this will suffice,off course these will need to be fixed by a time served roofer who knows his trade.I live in the cumbrian fells.Im a roofer,so is my dad and so was my grandfather.The house i live in was my grandfathers and he done this roof in 1946(welsh slate) and i have had to replace one slate.The house is situated on the side of a fell.The slate in question just broke along a fault.Now believe me the weather we get here is bad.I have had to replace the ridge and render the chimeny but slates ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back